Thursday, January 26, 2012

Earthquake!

Yesterday morning I was lying in bed when all of a sudden the bed started shaking. I wondered if maybe it was just a rumble from a big door slamming downstairs or something... Then, I saw the wardrobe start shaking, and the doors out to our balcony started shaking and the glass was rattling. I jumped out of bed and felt the floor moving too! I thought, "Holy crap! We're having an earthquake! Do they have earthquakes in Milan??" Well, as it turns out, they do. I ran to the doorway of the bedroom to "take shelter" (because that's what they always taught us in school, even though we almost NEVER have earthquakes in MN), and I stood in the doorway until it was over. I looked into the hallway and everything was moving! Our wine glasses were swaying on our wine shelf, and it sounded like everything in the house was rattling. Luckily nothing broke and everything was ok. It MAYBE lasted a minute, but it seemed like an eternity in my mind. I just kept thinking "Is this really an earthquake??" Since I have never experienced one in MN before, this was a new thing for me. It was a scary experience to start the day with!

I checked the news a few hours later to see if it really was an earthquake, or if it was all in my imagination. Since Josh is traveling right now he didn't experience it and couldn't back me up. Well, it was definitely a quake and it was a 4.9 on the Richter Scale. I really hope I don't have to experience that again anytime soon!! I feel for my family and all of those people that live with earthquakes on a regular basis out on the west coast. Yikes!

swissinfo- earthquake hits northern Italy


No comments:

Post a Comment