Tuesday, November 22, 2011

More truffles and scary movies!

The Sunday before Halloween we went to the truffle festival in a town called Moncalvo. This town is so great with its hilly streets that are pedestrian only, the brick buildings and the medieval feel to the city. They even have a medieval festival in the fall which I wasn't able to go to this year- hopefully next year!

the breakfast room


We woke up to more fog that morning and it was worse than the day before. As you can see from the pictures, it was pretty thick and left visibility significantly less than normal. Again, it gave the feeling that we were in Sleepy Hollow. I kept waiting for the headless horseman to pop out at any time. 

a fountain at the B&B, there were huge goldfish in there!

beans over the parking spots at the B&B

We met up with Josh's co-worker Luigi for a drink before going to the festival. He has a house near Moncalvo, so he was there for the weekend and took a break from housework to see us. It was fun to meet him and his wife, and they were very nice!! Hopefully we can get to gether with them again. Luigi is a typical Italian- very happy, super nice and just light hearted. Italians have just a lighter air about them than the people back home. Maybe its just me, but they seem to be less serious about things. Maybe thats why it has taken over a year to get residency (and I still don't have it yet)... But seriously, Italians are very kind, generous people! I feel like I have a lot to learn from them.

we bought some roasted chestnuts,
they were so good!

the merchandise

more merchandise
After a great, romantic weekend of truffle hunting, we went home and enjoyed Halloween with our friends Andrea and Marina. We had dinner, and then the traditional scary movie night. Of course we had to watch Chainsaw Massacre... I hate that movie!! For those of you that don't know, I am not a fan of scary movies. They give me nightmares. Josh holds a traditional scary movie night every year and this year it was more low key, but at least he was able to keep the tradition going. Another tradition that started when I entered the picture is watching Spongebob after the movies so I don't get nightmares! So of course, we watched Spongebob and life was good again. It was another great weekend! So far we have traveled three out of four months in October... I'm starting to get a little tired!! Luckily November slows down for me so I can get caught up with everything at home.

the pumpkin we found in Piemonte and a HUGE butternut
squash we found at the same place.


No comments:

Post a Comment