- It is one of the most important wine producing regions and produces the most DOC (original location certified) wine in Italy.
- The most important wines produced are Prosecco, Valpolicella, Valdobiadene, and Amarone di Valpolicella.
- It is one of the most visited regions in Italy (thanks to Venice), and is one of the richest regions in the country.
- Bennetton, Sisley and Diesel are all from the Veneto- originally from the town of Treviso
|An apartment building in Treviso|
|On our way to find a place to eat- many places were closed|
|One of the best pizza places we've ever been to! Treviso|
|Mmm... the pizza!|
Even though the region includes Venice, we did not go into the city. We stayed for a few nights just outside of Treviso, then spent a couple nights in Conegliano. We had a great time touring the cities, seeing the Dolomites again (we kept saying that we had to go back this year!), eating the AMAZING food, and of course Josh enjoyed trying all of the prosecco and white wines of the area. I was really jealous of this because I LOVE prosecco and couldn't partake in the fun :( Next time!! We did buy some bottles to open in celebration after Bambino arrives though. We were even able to spend some time with our friends since Josh and Francesco had tickets to see the Foo Fighters. It was a really great trip that I hope to do again some time. The area is beautiful and I happen to like it better than Tuscany for a few reasons:
1. It's cheaper!!
2. There aren't many tourists
3. There is really good white wine & prosecco, as well as some of the most famous Italian reds
4. The regional food is incredible!
5. You are less than an hour from the Dolomites- my favorite part of Italy!
|From our day driving in the Dolomites- we visited Belluno, |
and Pieve di Cadore
|A place where we had coffee in Belluno- the cappucino was almost|
twice as expensive as in Milan!
|A garden in the main square of Belluno. Can you see the little |
duck hiding in the bush?
|The main church in Belluno|
|Across from the church, there was this beautiful building- I think|
it was the city hall
|We stopped near this river to take a little break. You can see|
one of the towns we visited on the hill. We ate lunch not
far from there at a place called the Ski Bar. It was amazing!
|Time for another break! And an amazing view of the Dolomites|
|It looked like the clouds were a waterfall over the mountain.|
It was pretty amazing.
|Some random gnomes from a house on the side of the road.|
|After our drive through the Dolomites, we stopped in Cornegliano|
|The main square in Cornegliano|