Wednesday, August 1, 2012

7 weeks left, and the "sisterhood"

On to week 33!! Only 7 more weeks to go and only four until I'm full term! Weeks 32 and 33 have turned out to be great weeks with lots of socializing, and of course a lesson or two of English. I'm pretty much done teaching, but have one more lesson at the end of August before I'm officially on "maternity leave" (I use quotations because I work freelance, so it's really not maternity leave). In the past week we've met some new friends that just moved to Milan from Chicago- Jennifer (a fellow Chi-O), Clint and their adorable daughter Viv- and we've also spent a lot of time with our Italian friends. It's been a lot of fun, but I cannot do three nights in a week past midnight anymore!! Holy cow, I've been trying to recover from last week for the past few days and I feel like I haven't slept in a week!!

Some new things with pregnancy.... Bambino LOVES mussels! Every time I eat them he/she goes crazy and starts doing gymnastics. Very appropriate now that the Olympics have started. It's funny, just cleaning them I think Bambino anticipates them, so from cleaning them to eating them, Bambino goes crazy.

My energy just seems completely drained lately! I typically wake up in the morning around 9, have breakfast, clean the kitchen, check email, maybe do a few things around the house, eat lunch, then it's time for a nap by 2PM. Between Bambino growing, and the summer heat that has hit Milan, my energy seems to be non-existent. I feel like a complete pile lately! Not to mention that my feet start swelling everyday now because it's so hot. Luckily, we don't have to deal with the heat that the US is dealing with, but back home we had central air conditioning so it didn't seem so bad... Here we only have a small unit in the bedroom (which is better than nothing!!). But I can't spend my entire day locked up in our bedroom.

One really fun part of pregnancy is reconnecting with people that I haven't been in contact with for years. Some of them are old college friends, some old high school friends, but all have had children and are a part of the "sisterhood". It's funny, now that I'm pregnant I feel like I've been able to join the "sisterhood" of women that have experienced the most incredible part of life- giving life to your child. At least, I think it's incredible! And it's really fun to talk to people about their children and experiences. Maybe calling it the "sisterhood" isn't really fair though because I've also been able to relate to a lot of guys that have had children too. Maybe calling it "club parenthood" would be better? Either way, it's really fun to talk to people about their experiences and learn from them.

Some things I'm excited about: meeting Bambino! Finally! I'm curious if he will look like he does in my dreams (I dream of having a boy). I'm also excited for some cooler weather, being 8 months pregnant in the hottest part of summer is not too fun. I get overheated SO easily!!

Some things I'm nervous about: the delivery... I've been researching a lot and learning more about the process, the options available, talking to people about their experiences, etc. I know I just have to let nature take its course, but since this is my first child I'm nervous because I don't know what to expect. Also, I'm a little nervous about my ultrasound next week. We'll find out if Bambino is still growing too much, or if he/she is starting to level out a bit.

Cravings: I'm DYING for a cheeseburger!! When we were sitting at the pool in Barga the other weekend I kept smelling burgers and french fries. Ever since then I can't stop thinking about a big, juicy cheeseburger! The only downfall is that you can't find a good one in Milan. You have to make it yourself, so that is what Josh and I will do this weekend when he returns from Paris :D CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT!! He makes the BEST cheeseburgers!

I also seem to be craving a lot of dairy products too. It must be because Bambino's bones are starting to harden and finish developing. But I want yogurt and milk every day now, so I try to work it into my diet throughout the day.

On another note: We FINALLY got TV last week!! Only a year and a half later... Just in time for the Olympics! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment